Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Endless Fall

The weather patterns in the Midwest, especially this state are about as unpredictable as can be. I can recall numerous Halloween evenings where I was trick or treating with flurries falling in the cold evening. Thanksgiving day usually began with a snowblower and ended with boots and gloves drying by the heating vents. The fall season in this state usually lasts for about 2 weeks.

It was to my surprise when fall did not end this year. Indeed, the fall of 2015 proved to be one of the most mild that I can recall. Many days the temperatures would soar 10-15 degrees above historical averages. I won't complain though, as the previous two years of winters have been brutal.

The original plan for the bike, once it had been delivered at least, was to store it at my uncles over the winter while working on it. The assumption was that fall would be as it normally is, meaning a short riding season.

Once I transferred the title, purchased the plates and confirmed the insurance the bike sat. We had a few days that were warmer than average for the area but I thought nothing of it. I was committed to leaving the bike at my uncles and not moving it until the Spring of 2016. Needless to say this major weather change never happened. It stayed warm.

In a complete reversal of plans I called my uncle and let him know that I was going to come over to his house on a Friday evening and ride the bike back to my house. I had the room in the garage to store it finally and figured I would be able to extract a couple weeks of riding before winter actually hit.

It would be an understatement to say I was nervous riding the bike back to my house. A journey that would normally last around 20 minutes by freeway took me almost 45 on the back roads. This bike was foreign to me. The controls, center of gravity, seating and shifting method were all very different to what I had been used to. I considered this ride a crash course and figured it would take days to adjust to the new feel and at least 2 weeks before I would carry a passenger.

However, when I arrived home my wife was waiting in the driveway, wearing her boots, heavy jacket and helmet. It was clear that she was riding even I did not feel comfortable. Eventually, through hours of practice and avoiding times of heavy traffic, I gained the confidence that I once had. I was glad to be back on the road.

The storms, temperature drops and heavy amounts of snow that were consistently predicted never arrived. I was able to ride almost every day in October and November leading up to Thanksgiving day.  Even after Thanksgiving day I would have still been able to ride, well into December even, but it was time to start the winter work that I had intended to begin in the first place.
Atypical weather for early October

At first I struggled with the decision to buy this bike. It was a choice made with a heavy heart and the acceptance that I was not nearly as skilled as my father nor did I share his unquestionable passion for bikes. It was simply something I wanted to do as a hobby...a very expensive hobby.

The fortunate weather patterns that kept winter at bay greatly eased my mind about my decision. Although I was not able to clock any long trips during this time, I managed to add around 3000 miles to the odometer. It was through this prolonged and endless fall season, and with the help and support of family and friends, that I finally realized that I had made the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment