Wednesday, March 23, 2016

On the Road Again

As per usual, the midwest cannot decide what weather it wants to wear this week. Like an indecisive person in a closet full of clothes, we have experienced low 70's, high winds, torrential rains, mid 50s and even snow. Needless to say, riding has been quite challenging despite it officially being spring.

We have finished the bulk of the work on the bike and it now sits comfortably in my recently cleaned and renovated garage. I ended up taking it home about 2 weeks ago in hopes I would have time and weather to ride. Although there are some other small changes to make, the bike is about where I want it to be. Perhaps it's time to sit back and discuss how the changes have affected how I ride and the performance of the bike.

It sounds like a bike

Perhaps the most noticeable difference was the sound of the bike. We replaced the stock mufflers with a set of Kerker branded pipes. The original plan was to completely replace the whole system, mufflers, headers and fuel pack but we ended up scrapping that idea in favor of lights.

I'm actually relieved I didn't spend the money on exhaust. The sound the Kerkers make is absolutely perfect. It manages to capture the deep hum at idle perfectly, reminding me of Dad's old Knucklehead. It manages to hum loud enough to be heard, but not too much to be obnoxious. I can't believe how well they worked out. I still intend to replace the header pipes eventually but the mufflers will stay regardless.

The 'slash cut' exhaust tips look great but can be dangerous if you're not watching out. 
The most difficult aspect of dealing with the Kerker mufflers is that the company does not exist anymore. It was bought out by an Ohio company which still sells some parts and pipes under the Kerker name, but finding replacement baffles will be difficult. It has also made one of my biggest 'wants' on the list difficult to fulfill.

When I was a very small child, my dad, once a year, would take out his old 1960 Panhead from the garage and take me for a ride. Usually we would end up going to Taco Bell and getting lunch and then heading to a lake at the local park. It was a once a year event that I looked forward to. The bike has fishtail exhaust tips on the mufflers, which is one of the earliest memories I have. My mom was holding my hand outside in front of the garage. Dad rolled out the bike and kicked it over till it started and let it idle. Mom and Dad pointed out the fishy tails on the back of the bike to me. Needless to say, I was excited. To me, it was the coolest thing ever. Ever since then I have wanted fishtail exhaust on my bike.

This would not have been an issue except that Kerker no longer makes them. It was painful and slow but I finally managed to track down a pair of used tips that SHOULD and HOPEFULLY fit my exhaust. Now I play the waiting game.

Comfort for Less

 After clocking in around 500 miles so far I can say, without doubt, that the air ride seat is one of the best setups I have ever ridden on. The seat responds to the road the same way the center post, spring loaded saddle seats from the past do. It bobs along with bumps and shifts in the pavement ensuring your spine and kidneys continue to function normally.

I really, really like this seat. 
What amazes me is how many people do not want this seat. It's never difficult to find this seat on EBay for less than $200. I guess I will never understand the obsession with being cradled in the frame of the bike, sitting on less than 1" of padding while the road rearranges your internal organs. For less than the cost of most quality solo seats, why not use the air ride system? To each their own, I suppose.

The Buck Stops Here

The "buckhorn" style handlebars that currently sit on the bike were also a much welcomed improvement. The stock bars were by no means terrible, but there is no substitute for the comfort afforded by this style of handle bar. We installed a 3" riser sitting on top of the trees that used a very nice looking Harley bar clamp. The horns were then angled back to a comfortable position and the controls were installed and adjusted.

Essentially, my arms are able to rest on the grips while I hold them. They are much wider so my arms sit in a position that would be like sitting in an armchair. This is of course a matter of personal preference but it is the style that I am most accustomed to and the style most will use on their bikes.


Overall?

The bike has been far more comfortable to ride. My back and spine have thanked me ever since the weather broke. It was not difficult to cover 100 miles in one sitting without getting cramped up. The riding position I have now is more similar to the position that I prefered on the older bikes. I sit up higher, my arms rest at my side and I move on a cushion of air with the road. It feels great!

Anything Else?

A couple of things are still coming up. There have been some small additions that I will cover later. Most notably I added a terrible, terrible power port, stuck some decals on the saddlebags and threw on some axle caps. All minor changes but worth discussing nonetheless.

Coming soon: How to nerd up your bike tastefully!
There will always be more. In the world of Motorcycles, there's always something to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment